Saturday, May 17, 2014

At the border between jewel craft and art

Hey there!

Today I visited the KHM in Vienna - the "Kunsthistorisches Museum" (museum of art history) was built in the late 19th century together with its twin the "Naturhistorisches Museum" (museum of natural history). If you every come to Vienna, you should really visit at least one of them. The buildings are absolutely gorgeous and the exhibitions, especially the art collection in the KHM, breathtaking.

We went there this week end because they showed a special exhibition with some of Peter Carl Fabergé's works. He was a jeweler from Russia, most famous for the so called "Fabergé Eggs". Of the famous bejeweled eggs only three were shown, but there were lots of other pieces designed and crafted by him or his manufacture. The exhibition lasted only till this week end, and my mum and I had talked about going to see it already before easter, so I decided to invite her to the museum as a Mother's Day gift :)

I used the occasion and dress in Lolita again, and tried a new hair style with my own hair as well! I also noticed that my current petticoat fits this dress a lot better than my old one :3 I tried to balance my outfit between a princess-like style with my Dokuhime inspired hairdo and pearl jewelry, but also to keep it a bit toned down because I was out with my family. I'm not always sure how they feel about me wearing Lolita, but I think my parents liked my outfit quite a lot this time :) My mum even took some photos of me!



 The exhibition itself was not too big and very crowded, but it was totally worth the time and money. The displayed jewelry was amazing. They crafted not only those famous eggs in the most incredibly detailed manner, but also all other kinds of beautiful jewelry. Taking photos was forbidden, but I wouldn't have been able to capture the beauty of the displayed items with my cell phone camera anyway. Fabergé's enamel technique was famous and unique because of its iridescent wave- and zig-zag-patterns, and to see those in person was just incredible. What I liked best were a few pieces that were basically life-size models of insects, such as a big dragonfly and a stag beetle, they looked so life like and delicate, as if they were the real thing. There was also one little box that was covered in berries made of jewels - raspberries, blackberries and even gooseberries, that looked exactly like real ones, and even thin and delicate leaves.

I probably could have spent ages in that exhibition, marveling at the jewelry. I am not usually a fan of overly kitschy jewelry. I don't really like gold and prefer jewelry in silver. Wearing pearls with Classic Lolita was already a "big deal" for me. But all the pomp and splendor, not just of the exhibition but also of the building itself, was really impressing and got me kinda hyped. 

On some occasions it's possible to enter the gallery just beyond the dome. I already got a bit scared of the height of the  gallery we were standing at when we took the photos!


My stepdad went around to the other side while we took photos and played pretend that he was a king or president giving an important speech from that balcony, haha

We used our ticket to have a look at the other exhibits too. There is a lot to see at the museum and all in all I think we spent maybe 3 hours there. There is one large gallery with paintings of the 16th-17th century mostly ( you can get an impression here!) and it was fun to try and guess the depicted scenes - many were based on ancient Greek/Roman mythology and Biblical stories or hagiographies, and as I had Latin at school I learned a lot about these old myths.

 

We also had a look at the Greek and Roman antiquities. Some of the oldest exhibits there are from the Etruscans and date back to around 600 BC. Turns out, Etruscans and later also Romans were absolutely amazing jewelers too. To imagine that they crafted such delicate things as cameo-rings with pictures smaller than the nail of my little finger so many centuries ago... they really bore the direct comparison with Fabergé !

We didn't see the Egyptian and Near Eastern collection  and in the end were also too tired to see the "Kunstkammer" so I definitely have to come back soon! 

Aww I'm a bit sad that this photo is so blurry, I love it!

By then our feet were getting a bit sore and we were hungry, so we headed back to the car. My step dad got a brand new car a few weeks ago and I was allowed to drive that day, whoo! (But not with those shoes of course). It has a lot of fancy gimmicks like an automatic start-stop-function when you stop at a traffic light, a rear view camera to facilitate parking (which is great because the car is freaking huge and driving it for the first time and trying to squeeze it into a tiny parking spot in a parking garage it was really I was really glad to have it XD), a control light that tells you to change gears when you drive to drive economically, can be linked with your cell phone and allow to voice control its functions... wow! It was a lot of fun driving it. But, I guess I'm a bit of a car junkie when it comes to that, I like driving a lot, and ever since I don't have to commute to Krems anymore and don't drive any long distances I kinda miss it :'D

My step dad invited us to dinner on our way back home and we went to a really good Greek restaurant. When I was younger I wasn't paricularly fond of the Greek cuisine, mainly because I only knew it from a single restaurant which was pretty bac. Everything they cooked was very greasy and as a kid I had a hard time choosing from their menu. This restaurant really made me change my opinion though - their menu is extensive (they also have a lot of BBQed dishes with all kinds of meat, from lamb to prok, so even as a kid I would have found myself something to eat.) and their dishes delicious! I'm gonna spare you the food photos I took, because they don't look near as delicious as the food actually was! :'D
Instead, here are some photos that represent my outfit a little better! When we got home there was still enough daylight outside to take these! I was pleasantly surprised. It has been raining a lot these days (we actually got floods again in Austria, my parents have been safe for the while though) so light was scarce. Anyway, here's some pics!





When I got home I found out that a girl from our Lolita community works at the KHM and spotted me there! She posted in our facebook group that her colleagues were really excited and everyone there liked my outfit a lot. I felt so flattered! I honestly didn't notice that I drew any attention, positive or negative, except for that one guy who greeted me with "Konnichiwa" and a girl pointing out my shoes to someone. Anyway, I'm happy that the people who work there are so accepting! :)

How did you spend your Saturday? :3

25 comments:

  1. Dein Outfit ist total hübsch und deine Frisur gefällt mir extrem gut! Ich wünschte ich könnte das auch mit meinen echten Haaren machen, aber die sind soo dünn, das sieht immer nach nichts aus^^
    Das gleiche Kleid wollte ich nächste Woche auch ausführen, aber ich hab jetzt doch auf Goth umgeswitcht (wir haben eine Kirche als Kulisse^^).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön ^o^
      Naja, also unter den Haarknödeln sind bei mir schon auch noch "Ringe" (keine echten Haardonuts, damit hätte ich Monsterknödel, haha), aber ich hatte auch ein bisschen zweifel ob die geflochtenen Strähnen nicht zu dünn sind .__. Notfalls kann man dafür aber auch Extensions in der eigenen Haarfarbe nehmen! Gerade für die geflochtenen Strähnen bietet sich das an, und mit Haardonuts kann man auch mit dünnen Haaren solche Bommeln machen denke ich ^__^

      Ja, für Kirchen bietet sich Gothic absolut an, hab ich mir beim letztjährigen Sommertreffen in Wien auch gedacht ^__^ Ich hatte ja gehofft ich hab dieses Jahr noch eine Chance Kuro zu tragen aber bei den Temperaturen.... ein Ding der Unmöglichkeit ^^" Außer vielleicht wir bekommen einen verregneten Sommer XD

      Delete
  2. Gorgeuos. Enough said. *.*

    "I honestly didn't notice that I drew any attention, ... "
    That's a good sign, isn't it? I mean when you don't feel the looks anymore ... even though there must have been plenty. :D Just look at the pictures. How can you expect not to have twisted some heads? ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ^///^

      Yes, I think so too. After all I don't dress like that because I want to turn heads but because I like it :3 As long as people just look and are not rude or anything I don't notice at all. But of course it's also cool when people come over to ask what kind of fashion that is! :D

      Delete
  3. Du hast mit einem Outfit so toll da reingepasst :D sehr schön. Ich bin ein bisschen neidisch, ihr habt immer so tolle Ausstellungen... bei uns gibt's sowas gar nicht :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich hab aber auch das Glück dass ich so nahe an Wien wohne! ^^ Sonst würde ich auch viel seltener hinfahren und sowas machen.

      Delete
  4. Dein Outfit ist wieder einmal wunderschön <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the outfit's appropriate for the place you went to... it just fits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, du bist so schön!! Und die Location ist perfekt. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ich weiß grad gar nicht, ob ich je im KHM war... Und das als ehemalige Ortwein-Schülerin, oh Mann XD Aber Wien hat auf jeden Fall ganz besonders schöne Architektur zu bieten, zu der Classic Lolita hervorragend passt <3 Du hast wirklich ein tolles Outfit zusammengestellt, das steht dir!
    Ich find es immer schade, wenn man in Ausstellungen, gerade bei historischen werken, keine Fotos machen darf. Ich bin so vergesslich und will eigentlich nur ein paar eigene Erinnerungsstücke festhalten, um auch später noch zu wissen, wo ich wann war und was ich dort gesehen hab...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich glaub ich war auch erst ein oder zwei mal davor im KHM und ansonsten vor Allem als Kind eher im NHM. Bietet einem ja als Kind auch irgendwie mehr, und es gab auch längere Zeit jetzt keine Ausstelung im KHM die mich gereizt hätte. Aber ich merke schon dass ich durch die Lolita-Treffen irgendwie wieder mehr Lust habe zu Ausstellungen und sowas zu gehen :D
      Ja, ich hätte mich auch gefreut wenns die Möglichkeit gegeben hätte Fotos zu machen, aber andererseits denke ich mir, das Licht war eh nicht so gut und es gibt ja auch professionelle Bilder von den Objekten... da kann ich dann sagen "Das hab ich schon mal in echt gesehen!" :D

      Delete
  8. Du passt mit deinem Outfit perfekt in die Location *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke X3 Ist mir die "Tarnung" also gelungen, haha :DD

      Delete
  9. Wie toll du dareinpasst, haha! Dich hätten sie gleich als hübsches Ausstellungsstück da behalten können :) Und die Frisur ist echt toll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, danke :D
      Bei der Frisur war ich ja bis zuletzt etwas skeptisch aaaber sie scheint gut anzukommen - und ist halbwegs angenehm wenn es warm ist XD

      Delete
  10. Dein Outfit ist wirklich wunderschön und richtig gut gefällt mir die Frisur dazu - die ist einfach zauberhaft!

    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  11. Großartige Fotos und super tolles Outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Du siehst ja selber aus wie ein wunderschönes Museumsstück *__*
    Ich finde ja auch, dass dir dieses Outfit wunderbar steht. Sehr sehr bezaubernd!

    Du Hübsche du! :)

    LG, Jade

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lass dich von meinen Fotos nicht täuschen, ich hasse es vor allem bei solchen Portraitfotos, wie wir sie versucht haben zu machen, wenn Tausende Menschen im Hintergrund rumrennen. Und das war schon eine Herausforderung, weil von den ganzen vorbeilaufenden Menschen ständig Schatten an der Wand waren, und man oft nur ein Sekündchen Zeit hatte, ein Foto zu schießen. Und wir waren halt da stehen geblieben, wo vergleichsweise wenige Leute waren.
    So in etwa ist die bittere Realität: http://www.stimberg-zeitung.de/nachrichten/nordrhein-westfalen/Japan-Tag-lockt-Hunderttausende-nach-Duesseldorf;art243,1302051
    Ich gehe eben immer hin, weil ich quasi um die Ecke wohne, aber ob ich extra von so weit hinfahren würde...ich weiß nicht. Es ist schön, Leute zu beobachten und alles, aber zu den Ständen kommst du kaum hin, das Essen ist total überteuert und es ist eben super voll. Zufällig Leute treffen ist etwa so wahrscheinlich wie ein Sechser im Lotto, man muss sich schon fest verabreden, und dann erreicht man Leute nicht,habe schon öfter gehört, dass das Mobilfunknetz auch mal zusammenbricht und joa. Will dir natürlich keinesfalls die Lust verderben, und ich hoff, dass wir uns auf jeden Fall treffen, wenn du in der Nähe bist, aber nicht, dass du dir dadrunter etwas anderes vorgestellt hast und dann enttäuscht bist ^^
    Ich muss mir einfach nen Lockenstab besorgen, das ist wohl am einfachsten :D
    Danke schön *_* Es waren für letzten Samstag 12-22°C angesagt, deswegen habe ich mich für das schwarze Outfit entschieden und hatte sogar noch eine Jacke mit :D Letzendlich war mir etwas warm, weil es tagsüber in der Sonne eindeutig wärmer war. War aber noch auszuhalten :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)