Saturday, July 12, 2014

Midnight Rose

Hello there!

Today was a big Lolita meet up in Vienna! We were almost 30 people, and it was so much fun! However, I didn't take any good photos except for some cell phone shots, so until I get my hands on some, and a group pic, I'll postpone the entry about the meet up for a while.

But there is something I really, really wanted to show you, because I am so happy about it, and actually kinda proud! Do you remember the sewing plans I talked about in this entry ? Well, I finished the "Midnight Rose JSK" and wore it to the meet up today! 



Positive that I would keep you updated about the creative process concerning my little sewing "project" I had termed the first entry about it "Part I". But as it turns out, I finished the whole dress in more or less two consecutive sessions of intensive sewing and didn't really take any pictures of it in between... I was concentrating so much on doing everything correctly that I barely thought about taking photos, also, I was mostly sewing at night and the light was really bad...

But, anyhow, what do you think of it?
personally, I think for my "first time" it looks quite okay! Of course there are many errors visible and close up you can see that I'm just no professional. Also, it doesn't fit perfectly - I took the sewing pattern from a summer dress of mine, but altered it a bit, like adding thicker straps to attach sleeves and making the skirt much wider to fit a petticoat. Then I added a few extra cm in the back, thinking that with the stretchiness of the fabric I wouldn't have to sew in a zipper then... and of course I added seam allowance. And somewhere along the way I got an extra 15cm of fabric! I think it's because I was so anxious about not having enough seam allowance that I added far too much, but ended up not using it, so the dress got much wider overall. I had to alter it three times, because I couldn't do a proper fitting on my own body, yet my dress form wasn't of much help either - I think while I am wearing a size 32-34 on my upper body, she's more like 36-38.

Trying to figure out how to do the sleeves - in the end I sewed them to the top of the fabric instead of the underside, because I might want to replace them one day. However, this means that they ended up being much shorter and I had to add the additional layer of lace underneath. I actually kinda like it like that though, the lace is now the same at sleeves and bottom seam!

I added a shirring in the back, so the fit around the upper body is more tight. I can close it myself though, so I need help to dress up and undress with this one XD Maybe I should add a zipper after all....

Little velvet band at the seam... as expected I wasn't really able to sew a nice "V" shape, but with the band it looks okay, especially from the front. I had to re-do that part after I messed it up the first time and it got reeeally unsymmetrical. But now it turned out okay I guess.

In the end, it looks a bit wonky now, and turned out slightly asymmetrical, but I tried to hide that fact with the little sleeves. I'm still not too sure about the fabric, I think it's a bit too shiny, but as for now I think it's any okay solution. The lace has little flowers on it, I like it a lot! I call it a JSK because I wanted to make a dress that I can wear with a blouse too. I just added the ruffles and lace as little sleeves so I can wear it as OP in summer :)

I had planned to make a pair of matching wrist cuffs too, but I wasn't able to finish them... I was up till 4am last night sewing, I didn't even notice how fast time passed by until my boyfriend came home from his night shift at work, haha. But I'll definitely do the writs cuffs too! I don't have anything in blue so it's a bit difficult to balance the outfit... Initially I also wanted to wear a pair of more opaque tights, but it was far too warm for that. But when I wear the coord in autumn again, I'll definitely try them!

Overall, I'm quite happy how it all turned out.
I'm quite proud that I did this all by myself without any help from my mum or grandma, haha. I'm really looking forward to wearing this dress again!



 Coming soon:
An entry about said Lolita meet up in Vienna, and about my recent Lolita-related acquisitions...

14 comments:

  1. Ich bin ja an diesem Hobby kläglich gescheitert und bewundere daher immer die Geduld anderer und deren Ergebnisse.
    Das Kleid ist wunder wunder schön. Mach mehr davon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke vielmals!!
      Geduld ist relativ, ich hab je gerade Ferien und im Juni hatte ich auch recht viel Zeit neben den Prüfungen.. aber ist bei mir so, wenn ich mich mal dransetze, "kippe" ich regelrecht hinein in die Arbeit und kann gar nicht mehr aufhören (daher auch die Näh-Aktion bis 4 in der Früh XD)
      Ich habe definitiv vor noch mehr zu nähen, wenn ich denn hübsche Stoffe finde ^^

      Delete
  2. Das Kleid ist sooo schön geworden! Wünschte ich könnte auch so gut nähen.. q-q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! ^///^
      Ach, ich wette du könntest das auch! Hab nur zwei verschiedene Sticharen benutzt und seeehr viel improvisiert XD Sobald der Stoff mal zurechtgeschnitten war gabs eh kein Zurück mehr, und das hat mich motiviert gehalten weiterzumachen, haha!

      Delete
  3. Das Kleid ist super super schön geworden! Ich bin echt richtig richtig neidisch .______. Meiner Meinung nach hast du genau die richtige Spitze und alles genäht. Und wenn man es nicht weiß, fällt auch gar nicht auf, dass es asymmetrisch sein soll! Irgendwann geb ich bei dir auch so ein Kleid in Auftrag! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke!! Ich freu mich so dass es so gut ankommt ^^
      Leider hat sich im Sonnenlicht herausgestellt dass der Stoff nicht schwarz sondern so "mitternachtsblau" ist, er ändert je nach Licht die Farbe zwischen schwarz und dunkelblau XD Aber sonst bin ich sogar halbwegs zufrieden ^^

      Delete
  4. Ich hab Dich bei der U-Bahnstation gesehen. Ich wollt Dich so gern ansprechend und Dir sagen, dass ich Deinen Blog total gern les. Aber ich hab mich dann doch nicht getraut. Und jetzt ärger ich mich darüber -.- Social akwardness olé ;)
    Das Kleid ist sehr schön geworden! Ich wünschte ich könnte so toll nähen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaah, ich hätte nie gedacht dass mir das mal passiert, dass mich jemand sieht der meinen Blog liest XDD Beim nächsten Mal quatsch mich ruhig an, ich würde mich total freuen ^___^
      Und vielen Dank ♥

      Delete
  5. Ich finde es ist seeehr schön :) toll, wie viel Mühe du dir damit gemacht hast, ist richtig klasse geworden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön ♥ Ich freue mich echt dass es so vielen gefällt ^__^

      Delete
  6. Hast du gut gemacht!!! Sieht wirklich schön aus und es steht dir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! ^////^
      Freut mich dass es dir gefällt!

      Delete
  7. Das Kleid ist so toll geworden! Du bist wirklich sehr talentier!
    Steht dir super :D

    LG, Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Danke für das Kompliment ♥ Ich freue mich dass das Kleid so vielen so gut gefällt!

      Delete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)